Ever since I upgraded to Ubuntu Ibex, my wireless has stopped working. Network Manager was able to scan and display available networks, but couldn't connect. I waited a while to see if a patch might fix it, but none did. I got it working again tonight. My solution involves removing Network Manager (which isn't a problem for me since I'm doing this on my desktop). Basically, I followed some directions from the Ubuntu Forums. However, I've made some small changes and added some instructions where I felt there were gaps.
- Disable and remove Network Manager.
sudo killall NetworkManager
sudo apt-get remove network-manager
- Remove the
rt61pcimodule and blacklist it to prevent it from loading in the future.
sudo modprobe -r rt61pci
echo 'blacklist rt61pci' | sudo tee -a \
- Download the serialmonkey rt61 legacy CVS tarball and install it.
tar zxvf rt61-cvs-daily.tar.gz
sudo cp rt61.ko \
sudo modprobe rt61
/etc/network/interfacesby adding/modifying the following section.
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
pre-up iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
pre-up ifconfig wlan0 up
pre-up iwconfig wlan0 essid [your SSID]
pre-up iwpriv wlan0 set AuthMode=WPA2PSK
pre-up iwpriv wlan0 set WPAPSK=[your ascii key]
pre-up iwpriv wlan0 set EncrypType=AES
- Bring up the wireless interface by typing
sudo ifup wlan0or rebooting.