Skip to main content

Android G1 Bicycle Mount

I recently purchased this bike mount for my Android G1. Out of the box, it didn't fit and, while holding on to my G1 fairly well, didn't withstand all my attempts to shake the phone from the cradle. So, it required a few modifications:

The bracket is not big enough to fit the stem. I had to extend it with some paracord and a couple zip ties:


The zip tie above keeps the paracord from slipping off the bracket (which is where the metal bar would normally lock into place). I used figure eight knots to tie the paracord to the bar.


After attaching the bracket, I reinforced the spring loaded phone clip with the metal clip from a pen. There's no gluing involved, I just slid the clip in under the pivot and used another small zip tie to hold it in place:


The final addition is a strip of velcro (it's green) that slides in between the display and the keyboard and attaches to itself behind the phone clip.



After my modifications, this system is quite rugged. I was not able to shake, jolt, or sling the phone free from the mount. I've also taken it on a couple of trips while commuting to work and it has held up beautifully.

Comments

  1. Nice. I considered doing something similar (but delayed after breaking my leg :-). http://www.bikertech.de/ seems to be a nice shop for all kinds of custom mounts. I also considered to get me a charger like this: http://www.shop.isdn-stollberg.de/xtcommerce/product_info.php?products_id=52.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever! This is exactly what I'm looking for! I'll be riding a century in October and I want to mount my G1 to my bike stem. Unfortunately, they won't ship to my US address and I can't find it anywhere else. :-( Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Francis Sorry, other than looking for another G1 bike mount and modding it to your needs, I have no idea :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Android Recipes and Snippets

I've put together a small collection of Android recipes. For each of these recipes, this is an instance of Context (more specifically, Activity or Service) unless otherwise noted. Enjoy :)

Intents
One of the coolest things about Android is Intents. The two most common uses of Intents are starting an Activity (open an email, contact, etc.) and starting an Activity for a result (scan a barcode, take a picture to attach to an email, etc.). Intents are specified primarily using action strings and URIs. Here are some things you can do with the android.intent.action.VIEW action and startActivity().Intent intent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW);
// Choose a value for uri from the following.
// Search Google Maps: geo:0,0?q=query
// Show contacts: content://contacts/people
// Show a URL: http://www.google.com
intent.setData(Uri.parse(uri));
intent.setFlags(Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK);
startActivity(intent);Other useful action/URI pairs include:Intent.ACTION_DIAL, tel://8675309Intent.ACTION_CALL…
Read more

Email Injection

Not so long ago, I ran a wiki called SecurePHP. On that wiki, there was one particular article about email injection that received a lot of attention. Naturally, with all the attention came lots of spam. As a result, I disabled editing of the wiki and content stagnated. Still, the email injection article remained popular. About a year later, the server that hosted SecurePHP died and I never had a chance to hook it all back up. I saved the article though and I'm reposting it now. It may be a bit old (I've been away from PHP for a long time), and I didn't write all of it, so feel free to leave comments about needed updates and corrections. Though this article focuses on PHP, it provides a lot of general information regarding email injection attacks.

The PHP mail() FunctionThere are a lot of ways to send anonymous emails, some use it to mass mail, some use it to spoof identity, and some (a few) use it to send email anonymously. Usually a web mailform using the mail() function …
Read more

XBee ZNet 2.5 Wireless Accelerometer

I managed to put together a wireless accelerometer the other night using my two new XBees, an Arduino XBee shield, an XBee Explorer USB, an ADXL330, and some Python. I struggled a bit with some of it, so here's what I learned:

First, a parts list.
XBee 2mW Series 2.5 Chip AntennaArduino XBee (with XBee Series 2.5 module)XBee Explorer USBADXL330I'm not sure exactly what the specs are on the XBee that comes with the Arduino shield. But, it is definitely a series 2.5.

The first thing to do is to configure and upgrade the firmware on your XBees. To do that, you'll need X-CTU (for the firmware upgrade at least, but it's also nice for configuration) which, unfortunately, is only available for Windows. But, it works fine from VMware. First up, the XBee we'll hook up to the computer to read incoming data from the accelerometer:
Plug one of the XBees into the Explorer (it's also possible to do this from the Arduino shield by shifting the two XBee/USB jumpers to USB and remo…
Read more